One of the largest sports in American history has to be American Football. It’s known for its exciting gameplay, but also rough characteristics. Luckily, for us an easier version called Flag Football has been created that makes for a great playground game.
According to Sportsvite.com, the Football game had already become popular during the 1800s, and was played in colleges especially. There are several national and international tournaments held but also many local football clubs, where it is played to a lesser extent.
If you have played football before, then learning how to play Flag Football should be easy for you! If you haven’t played football before, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. By following these simple Flag Football rules you’ll turn into a champion before the day is over.
Flag Football Requirements
You will need a large field so that there is enough space for everyone to play. You must mark off end zones on each side of the field. You will also have to gather round some friends to play with you. Divide them up into teams of 4 – 9 players per side. Also be sure to attached different coloured flags to each member of a team. You will also need a timer as most games are 40 minutes long, stopping the clock only for timeouts or half-time (1 minute).
How to Play Flag Football
- Flip a coin to decide which team should go first. The team that goes first will place the ball on the opponent’s 5-yard line.
- From there each team will have 3 tries to get the ball to the midfield. If the team gets that right, they will have 3 more tries to score a touchdown. A touchdown is scored when the player places the ball in the other team’s end zone.
- If the team cannot cross to the midfield in 3 tries, the other team will have possession and try to do the same thing as mentioned above.
- Instead of tackling a player, you have pull the receiver’s flag. The receiver may not attempt to dodge a flag pull. Once the flag has been pulled, the play ends.
- The scoring of flag football is similar to the scoring in normal football. Each touchdown counts as 6 points. Points can also be accumulated after touchdowns, where the ball is placed at the opponents’ 5-yard line. This counts for 1 point. Similarly if the ball is placed on the opponents’ 12-yard line your team will receive 2 points.
- Usually in flag football there is no kicking as this is a non-contact sport, but if you want to spice things up a bit a add kicking as an option, you may do so. If you choose to do this, you have to score points according to regular football rules.
Flag Football Game Variations
It would be a great idea for you to involve all your friends and their families to create your own Flag Football Superbowl. Make it an outdoor activity by providing snacks, drinks, and letting teams compete against each other until you reach the ‘final’.
Flag Football Video Tutorial