Go Fish has been a popular card game for generations and generations – grandparents teaching their kids, their kids becoming parents and teaching their kids. It really is a timeless game to play and the amount of fun has remained the same over the years.
Even though this card game is still fairly young, it has become very popular, very fast. According to Answers.com this game’s format has already originated in China in the early 20th century. It is also said that an 8-year old boy created this game in 1984, unknowingly drawing inspiration from the Chinese game, and making it one of the most popular card games in the world.
It is still a fun game to play today with friends or families, just to take a break from the digital age. If you are not familiar with this card game, don’t worry! We’ll teach you how to play it like a pro before you can say ‘fish’!
Go Fish Requirements
You will need 2 – 6 players and a standard deck of 52 cards. If you want to add more players to the game, you can add another deck to make it more interesting.
Go Fish Playing Time
How to Play Go Fish
- Each person will be dealt 5 cards. If there are only 2 people playing, then you each player will receive 7 cards. These cards are your mini deck for you to play with.
- The remaining cards will be placed in the centre of the table or the floor face down. This will be the deck from where everyone ‘fishes’.
- Carefully look at your cards. The goal of this game is to build as many ‘books’ as possible. A book consists of 3 or more cards of the same number but different suits.
- The player whose turn it is then chooses one person from the group to ask for a number. Let’s say I have a 2 of diamonds and a 2 of spades, I will ask you for a two. If you have a two you have to give it to me. If you don’t, you tell me to ‘Go Fish’, and I have to pick a card from the deck.
- If you have completed a book, lay it face down on the ground. Try to make as many books as possible. This is a game of strategy and it is important to listen to what the other players ask for as it might help you to build a new book of your own.
- As soon as the deck of cards is finished, the game is over. Each player will count his or her books. The one with the most books is the winner.
Go Fish Video Tutorial
Go Fish Game Variations
You can make this a fun family tournament by letting winners play against winners until you reach the ‘semi-final’ or ‘final’.
You can also change the amount of cards in a book to two and play in pairs. This will make for faster gameplay as well as the fact that you will have more books in the end.
You can also choose to ask for specific cards rather than just asking for a number. This variation makes the game a little bit longer and more challenging to players in your group.