Whether you believe in superstition or not, there’s no doubt that imaginative games are fun! There’s just no telling what the future holds for each of our complex lives. We’re constantly left fantasizing about what our paths have in store for us. With MASH, players can get a brief snapshot of their ‘future’ with this classic fortune-telling game. Of course it’s all pretend, but it makes for silly and hilarious conversations regardless! It’s the perfect time passer or general icebreaker game for kids and teens in particularly, especially during lunch hours!
In order to begin this fun indoor game, all you’ll need is a piece of paper, a pencil or pen, and a friend!
How to Play M A S H (Mansion, Apartment, Shack, or House)
- Gather a piece of paper, a pencil or pen, and a friend.
- Write M.A.S.H. at the top of your paper. M.A.S.H. is an acronym for your home: ‘M’ means you will live in a mansion, ‘A’ means you’ll live in an apartment, ‘S’ means you’ll live in a shack, and ‘H’ means you’ll live in a house.
- Player 1 chooses 4 or more categories like the following ones (or make up your own!): where you will live, how many kids you will have, who you will marry, your profession/job, etc.
- Player 2 chooses 4 answers/options for each category.
- Player 1 will circle the choices they wish they will receive from the answers made by other player during step 4.
- Player 2 then starts drawing a swirl on the paper. At any point, Player 1 will instruct for the spiral to stop.
- Count the number/amount of drawn loops (similar to counting the rings on a tree).
- Afterwards, the number counted is used to cross of items on the list. For instance, if three is counted, then every third answer is crossed off until there is a single answer left for each.
- The remaining answers” dictate” the player’s future life. Of course, it’s only for fun and giggles, which you will be doing a lot of when you play this game!
Play each round individually, which means there are no teams. The only distinction between players are those drawing the spiral and those whose fate is “on the line”. There are no maximum for players in the game. The minimum requirement is two players to begin this enjoyable pen and paper game!
MASH Playing Time
Typical games of MASH should only last about five minutes for all steps. For experienced players who have a firm handle on the flow of this game, expect each round to take only a minute or two.
MASH Video Tutorial